As part of achieving our core values, the LIC’s continues to explore different options to ensure that its consumers get water at an affordable price.
What are pre-paid meters and how do they work?
The pre-paid meter is a communal water dispenser which requires payment in advance by the consumer. The device is powered by a small lithium battery and consists of an electronic module, latching valve and a water meter with pulse output.
Advantages of pre-paid meter technology
- Water is always accessible.
- The tenant has his or her own token and is, therefore, not dependent on the landlord/landlady.
- Landlords/landladies may not attempt to charge more for safe water than the approved tariff. The prepaid meter system provides unrestricted access.
- Reduced opportunity for fraud by middlemen and staff.
- Public water access is provided at the standard NAWASSCO tariff.
- No more surprises caused by high water bills.
- Your water will not be cut off unexpectedly therefore no reconnection fee.